Monday, May 2, 2011

Sunday Funday!

So I had a good day yesterday despite all the rain and the ever present tornado threat heading towards tipton county. I went to Jessica’s house and we attempted to make macarons ( or as we were call them macaron weasleys! lol). Mine were going to be vanilla and we decided to add food coloring to make them purple. They looked terrible! The color caused them to look like that purple goo from “the cat in the hat”, ya know the one with mike myers? So needless to say, my macarons did not get eaten. I ended up throwing the whole batch in the garbage. Now I know it sounds weird that I threw them away because they were ugly but, they didn’t good either! The recipe called for almond meal and we couldn’t find any in kroger so we decide to make our own almond flour. Which means my macarons were chunky because there were little-bitty pieces of almond going all through them. So the purple goo ones were a disaster. Jessica wanted hers to be chocolate with a dark chocolate ganache in the middle. The chocolate macarons turned out a little better and they actually looked like they were supposed to! But, the ganache was gross. Go figure. lol. After we had to take shelter in the closet because we just knew a tornado was coming, we decided to try and make cupcakes with a homemade buttercream frosting. Everyone knows that you’re only supposed to fill the cupcake papers halfway because the cupcake will rise while it bakes (jp didn’t and the cupcakes over flowed!). So we ended up with cupcakes that looked like mushrooms. lol. Our buttercream frosting came out a little too salty. I don’t know what was wrong with us yesterday but we were definitely off our baking game. haha. Despite, all of our culinary mishaps it was still a really fun day. We decided to try and cook actual food this weekend and not dessert. I think it’s best that we take a break from baking. I have no idea what we’re cooking this weekend but, I know that it’ll probably be something complicated! haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment